Monday, May 16, 2011






















Deconstructed embroideries by Stephen Sollins.  I keep clicking to these pieces.  I am fascinated by the process that Sollins used to transform linens into fine art.  He reformats the original by removing the old thread.  The removal leaves a ghostlike pattern of the old design.  The site explains the process...

"As Sollins removes the old design, he counts the stitches by color and then proceeds to re-embroider squares in a geometric grid with each colored square consisting of the same number of stitches per color as the original. The dominant color (by quantity) is always placed at the upper right of the grid with the square size descending from right to left. By juxtaposing the new, controlled composition and the eerie, sentimental remains of the original textile design, Sollins eulogizes the anonymous craftsperson while elevating commonplace linens to fine art." Brian Gross Fine Art

I think that Sollins renewed the linens in such a smart and sincere way.  He considered the source, celebrated and modernized it.  I appreciate the eulogy.



2 comments:

  1. especially loving the first embroidery. such an interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I think it's such a focused way to honor the original maker. The first is my favorite too :)

    ReplyDelete